There are several options within Grow Social Pro to refresh your social share counts. Below, we'll go over how share counts are pulled in with Grow Social and Grow Social Pro and where you can refresh those share counts.
How are Social Share Counts Calculated
Grow Social and Grow Social Pro will only return the numbers (shares of your post URL) that social networks send Grow Social via an API. Grow Social doesn't keep track of the shares on its own - they are pulled in from the socials themselves.
Here's a quick rundown of the process for displaying the share counts on your site!
- The social networks keep track of shares and come up with a total number for each post URL
- The socials are connected with Grow Social (and other social sharing plugins) via an API. The socials send their share number to that API.
- Grow Social checks the API every few hours, updating as necessary (more on that below!), and that's where the numbers you're seeing on your posts come from.
- Grow Social displays the number that the socials gave. Grow doesn't have any capabilities of actually counting the shares or manipulating them, it's not a part of Grow's engineering or purpose.
Options for Refreshing Social Share Counts:
1 - Auto refresh: This happens automatically and no action is needed on your end for this to happen. Depending on the post’s or page’s age, a new set of share counts will be pulled as follows:
- once every two hours for posts younger than 10 days;
- once every six hours for posts older than 10 days, but younger than 20 days;
- once every twelve hours for posts older than 20 days.
If the counts are lower when pinged for the auto-refresh, the share counts on your post won't update, you'll keep the higher number. If the counts are higher than what's currently showing, then at that point, your counts would be updated to the higher number.
2 - Global Refresh Share button: This is located under Grow > Settings > Misc and looks like this
This setting also does not reset the data, rather it will ping the API and if the counts are lower, your shares won't update. If they are higher, they will.
This button essentially forces a normal API check that Grow Social already does automatically every 2-12 hours.
3 - Refresh Shares button in the post editor: This option is a bit different as it resets the share data and then pings the API to grab the share counts from the different socials.
Since the data is basically wiped clean, it's taking the actual shares that the API returns and updating your post with those shares, regardless of whether the counts are higher or lower.
We suggest only using the post editor refresh share button if you change the URL of a post or notice that something is really, really, off with your share counts.
Please note that using this feature MAY result in your share counts displaying as lower than before. If you aren't sure which option to choose, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.